[b-hebrew] Amalekites!

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Aug 15 13:14:29 EDT 2004

On 15/08/2004 03:04, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 8/14/2004 6:52:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>rosewalk at concentric.net writes:
>

>>In my experience, it is only people who do not believe in the Divine
>>Origin of the Torah that believe it is historically not accurate.
>>

>Then you have a lot of reading to catch up on--books by people who don't
>address the "Divine Origin" of the Torah at all--but are still motivated to
>vindicate its general accuracy.  And yet most of these still point out
>inconsistencies and anachronisms.
>They exist because the Torah was written by humans who can have lapses in
>knowledge and make errors.  Believe me, whoever wrote, for example, that Joseph
>had access to "silver money" was not guided by a higher power.

I think you misunderstood Shoshanna's logic, as she misunderstood mine.

There are those who believe in the "Divine Origin" of the Torah and
believe that it is accurate (e.g. Shoshanna).

There are those who do not believe in the "Divine Origin" of the Torah
but still believe that it is (in general) accurate (e.g. Marianne).

There are those who do not believe in the "Divine Origin" of the Torah
and do not believe that it is accurate (e.g. the Copenhagen school).

But is there anyone who believes in the "Divine Origin" of the Torah but
does not believe that it is accurate? If there is any disagreement among
us, it is here. My opinion would be that there are such people who
believe that the Torah is generally accurate but not necessarily so in
every historical detail. But perhaps this depends on exactly what is
meant by "Divine Origin".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/