[b-hebrew] Singers

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Aug 10 06:34:42 EDT 2004

On 10/08/2004 08:55, Yigal Levin wrote:

>>Except for 1 Kings 10:12 and 2 Chronicles 9:11 and 35:25, all the other
>>

>uses of $RYM is by authors who were writing before or were born and reared
>before the Galut Babel.
>

>>All the uses of M$RRYM is post Galut Babel.
>>
>>This is a case of language shift over time.
>>
>>Karl W. Randolph.
>>

>That's assuming that both the Deut. History AND Qohelet are pre-exilic,
>which most scholars would have reservations about.

Their reservations might evaporate if they took this kind of linguistic
evidence seriously. There are real linguistic differences between the
clearly post-exilic books and the rest of the HB, which imply at least a
different time of composition and suggest a period of instability
allowing rapid language change. (On this hypothesis, Esther has to be
explained as deliberate archaising.)

But I won't push for a pre-exilic Qohelet.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/