[b-hebrew] Amalekites exist OUTSIDE the scripture sources???

Brian Roberts formoria at carolina.rr.com
Mon Aug 9 16:09:49 EDT 2004

On Monday, August 9, 2004, at 04:32  PM, Yigal Levin wrote:

> Dear Michael,
>
> I'll put it this way: it is logical to assume, or at least suspect,
> that the
> Arabic/Islamic references to Amalek were influenced by Jewish and
> Christian
> sources, and thus do not reflect any independent knowledge of the
> Amalekites. The Quran has its own versions of many biblical stories, and
> unless you believe (as believing Muslims do) that the Quran was
> revealed to
> Mohammad by the angel Gabriel, it is irrelevant as a source of
> independent
> testimony.

Oh, I couldn't disagree more. There is reason to believe that - as far
as geographical polities considered Arabian go - namely the Amalekites
and the Shebans (Sabaeans), the Qu'ran and earlt Muslim imams have
something to add to the body and disourse, independent of Jewish and
Christian source we already know about.