[b-hebrew] Hebrew plural

George F. Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Mon Aug 9 02:29:05 EDT 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:09:58 -0400 John Cordaro <jcordaro at intergate.com>
writes:
> Can someone please elaborate on Eccl 12:1 and Isaiah 54:5. Is it true
>
> that "Creator" is plural in Eccl 12:1 and "husband" and "Maker" are
>
> plural in Is 54:5?
> If so, how does one determine it is plural and how should we then
> understand these verses? Is it similar to a plural of majesty or are
> we
> to believe there are two Creators (or more) which is contrary to Is
>
> 44:24 which states YHWH created "alone" and by Himself?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Eccl. 12.1
W.Z:CoR )eT_B.oWR:)eYKf B.iYM"YM"Y B.XW.RoTeYKf . . .

Is 54.5
K.iY Bo(a:LaYiK . . .

In both these passages there is a common phenomenon -- the words with
which you are concerned are masc. pl. parts. in the construct state with
suffixes.  This is evidenced by the Yod preceeding the suffix.   I would
recommend that you study the changes that occur when a word is in the
construct state.

george
gfsomsel