[b-hebrew] Jerusalem, city or land?

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 2 13:41:14 EDT 2004

On 8/2/04 8:48 AM, "Ken Penner" <pennerkm at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> Dimant's notes in DJD 30 on the phrase M)RC YRW#LYM in 4Q385a frg. 18 i a-b
> 3 are:
> "This is probably an intended contrast to )RC #BY)[M] in line 7. A similar
> expression, )RC TXPNS, appears in frg. 18 ii 8. The locution )RC YRW#LYM may
> reflect the situation prevalent in the author's days, in which the district
> of Jerusalem and the surrounding area formed a distinctive administrative
> unit. )RC in the sense of 'territory around a city' occurs also in the
> Bible. See )RC XMT (2 Kgs 23:33; 25:21; Jer 39:5); )RC PTRWS (Jer 44:1)."

Ken,

I found what looks like a paraphrase of  )RC YRW#LYM
in Psalms Of Solomon 8:15:

SOLOMON 8:15 HGAGEN TON AP' ESCATOU THS GHS TON PAIONTA KRATAIWS EKRINEN TON
POLEMON EPI IEROUSALHM KAI THN GHN AUTHS

* ... He decreed (?) war against Jerusalem, and against her land.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

*Translated from Greek and Syriac manuscripts by G. Buchanan Gray
in R. H. Charles, ed., The Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha of the Old Testament
in English (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1913) 2: 631-652