[b-hebrew] testing

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Apr 24 05:14:06 EDT 2004

On 23/04/2004 21:13, Dora Smith wrote:

>Well, it displayed on my computer.
>
>I'm also having other problems.   Only Ezra SIL will display niqqud, and it
>doesn't have a standard keyboard layout, which means the Hebrew learn to
>type program won't work.
>
>jAm I missing something?  You all sent stuff to me with the niqqud typed,
>and it didn't look like unicode.    Stuff with the niqqud is all over the
>web, too.
>
>FRED disappears every time I press "enter".  How do you get from one line to
>the next?
>
>Unipad won't let you change the font.  It will let you install keyboards,
>but it looks for a different type of file than my keyboards exist on.
>Anyway to use it?
>

>Yours,
>Dora Smith
>Austin, Texas
>villandra at austin.rr.com

Dora, you appear to have Unicode Hebrew working. Congratulations! How
did you do that, i.e. which program and keyboard?

Fonts and keyboards are quite independent. So if you can display Ezra
SIL with niqqud, you can use any keyboard which generates niqqud. The
ones which come with Ezra SIL do this only with a phonetic layout. It
sounds as if you want to use more like the Israeli standard layout. If
so, you need to find a keyboard driver which generates niqqud and uses
this layout. The Microsoft Israeli keyboard does this, but it uses
obscure and difficult key combinations for niqqud. Perhaps someone else
can tell you how to access these, or suggest to you a suitable keyboard.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/