[b-hebrew] Hebrew email & RTL

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Apr 17 16:21:23 EDT 2004

On 17/04/2004 03:18, Joel Nothman wrote:

> I wrote earlier
>
>>> In windows there is a nice shortcut that should work anywhere you can
>>
>> enter
>>
>>> text. Press Right-Ctrl-Shift to write right-to-left and
>>> Left-Ctrl-Shift  to
>>
>> write
>>
>>> left-to-right. (ie. press left ctrl and left shift at the same
>>> time,  etc.)
>>

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:38:09 -0500, Dora Smith
> <villandra at austin.rr.com>  wrote:
>
>> It doesn't work.  You mean press the right-hand shift and control keys
>> together, right?
>>
>> Yours,
>> Dora Smith
>

> Ctrl then shift, while still holding ctrl... But I think I forgot to
> note  this is unlikely to work pre-Windows XP.... Windows 95/98 have
> not-very-good Hebrew support, so I never tried when I used them!
>
> - Joel

Also I think you have to set up this key combination as an option
somewhere. It might be the default in XP. Probably it doesn't so much
shift from RTL to LTR or vice versa as shift between two different
keyboards, Hebrew and English if those are the two you have set up.
Things will be more complicated if you have more keyboards.

And as Joel says, it doesn't work so simply in Windows 95.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/