[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text - inscriptions

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 16:42:51 EDT 2003

Perhaps we may get some help in the discussion from syllabic evidence, though only partial:

   Hezekiah    =    ha - za - qi - (i)a  - u     From the Sennacherib prism.

   Jehoiachin  =    ia - ku - u - ki - nu           From  Babylonian varia  .

    One must keep in mind that these were written by scribes of different cultures, Assyrian and Babylonian respectively,  who most probably didn't know the language of the bearers of the names; that theophric components of personal names did not neccessarily sound exactly like the full divine name; that a span of well over a century separates the two.

     The  variations between the theophric component at the end of personal names between Judah and the Northern Kingdom  , YH/YHU  vs. YW<is well known from the inscriptions,

  Elephentine is so far geographically and culturally that the divine name defintely underwent separate development over the generatrions.

Uri

Liz Fried <lizfried at umich.edu> wrote:

> Add H, yes, but why U or O? After all, the Hebrew basis of Greek ABRAAM
> and AARWN is not Avrahoam or Ahuaron. Maybe Greek IAOUE might be more
> like Yahue, but in Greek it would not be well-defined whether this was
> two syllables yah-we or three syllables ya-hu-e. To go back to Hebrew,
> if the vav is used as evidence for a central U or O vowel it cannot be
> reused as a consonant, but I supposed the pronunciation could be
> something like ya-hu-he, or even ya-huah with a furtive patah before he
> with mappiq. So maybe your conclusion is not so off-based, but not
> because HU or HO is dropped.
Brilliant!
A furtive patah! of course!
ya-hu-ah
Right, I ran into problems, cuz I cannot have the W be both a vowel and a
consonant, and I cannot have two vowels together.
But YaHUaH would solve it all, no?
Liz