[b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX

CS Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 27 15:49:11 EDT 2003

On 9/27/03 11:03 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:

> Read any book on textual criticism. The change from )LHYM to ML)KYM (or
> vice versa) requires one addition (or deletion), one transposition and
> one improbable change of a letter all within one word. Such things just
> don't happen.

This is a classic straw man argument. I assumes a particular text critical
scenario that I never suggested nor was it even in the perimeter of my
thinking. You are assuming that the variant is a transmission error not an
intentional change. Based on the theological significance of the variant I
would be looking for an intentional change not a scribal error.

Who are you arguing with Peter? Not me. I never suggested anything like this
took place. There are a score of other text critical scenarios which you are
just ignoring. According to Hatch/Redpath aggelos in the LXX renders 15 or
more different hebrew lexemes.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew