[b-hebrew] Psalm 19:2-3

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Sep 23 05:58:56 EDT 2003

On 22/09/2003 23:43, CS Bartholomew wrote:

>On 9/22/03 8:06 AM, "Pastor Mark Eddy" <markeddy at adams.net> wrote:
>

>>What is the subject of the verbs AMaR and YHaWeH (yod-chet-waw-heh) in Psalm
>>19:3? Is one YOM telling something to another YOM, and one LaYLaH revealing
>>something to another (as in NASB)? Or is HaRaQiYa' of verse 2 the subject of
>>the verbs in verse 3, with the time references being adverbial (as the NIV
>>seems to read it)? And how do we know? All the nouns are masculine singular,
>>so they agree with the masculine singular verbs.
>>

>Returning to Pastor Eddy's question:
>
>Take a look at mywM lywM in the following:
>
>Psa. 96:2 #yrw lyhwh brkw #mw b#rw mywM lywM y#w(tw
>
>Esth. 3:7 bxd# hr)#wN hw) xd# nysN b#nt #tyM (#rh lmlK )x#wrw# hpyl pwr hw)
>hgwrl lpny hmN mywM lywM wmxd# lxd# #nyM (#r hw) xd# )dr s
>
>Looks like mywM lywM is adverbial does it not?
>Now could ywM lywM in Psa. 19:3 be another way of encoding mywM lywM ?
>
>Psa. 19:3 ywM lywM yby( )mr wlylh llylh yxwh d(t
>
>I suspect that it is just that, but I am just a Hellenist so my opinion
>doesn't have any weight.
>

>greetings,
>Clay Bartholomew

YOWM is certainly regularly used adverbially without any preposition.
There are a lot of examples in BDB sense 7, pp.399-400. See especially
sense 7e (1) (abridged here):

YOWM YOWM /day by day/ Gn 39:10 Ex 16:5 Pr 8:30,34 Ps 61:9 68:20
YOWM B.:YOWM 2Ch 30:21 Ne 8:18
YOWM WFYOWM Est 3:4

Since YOWM YOWM, YOWM B.:YOWM and MIY.OWM L:YOWM all mean "day by day",
it seems reasonable that YOWM L:YOWM can also mean the same thing.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/