[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Sep 22 19:42:24 EDT 2003

On 22/09/2003 16:18, David P Donnelly wrote:

> Peter Kirk says:
>

> It is highly improbable that L has been tampered with in any
> systematic  way.
> Why would you suggest that?
> Remember that there are a number of other MSS of comparable date which
> usually read the same.
> >>>

> Dave says:
>
> Maybe I should ask the question in a different manner.
>
> The Ben Chayyim Hebrew text preserves the Tetragrammaton in the Hebrew
> Word #3068 form,
> [yod-simple shewa-he-holem-vav-qamets-he]
> over 6000 times.
>
> You mentioned previously that this Hebrew word #3068 form was only
> found 44 times in the BHS.
>

> _http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/software/mac/online.bible/BHS-BHM.Read_Me.txt_
>
> The following information was found at the link above,
>
> under the heading below:
>
> INTRODUCTION TO THE HEBREW BIBLE PROPER
>

> Because of the presence or absence of the so-called "vowel letters"
>
> (consonants used to indicate vowels)
>
> in unpointed MSS, however,
>
> the consonantal Hebrew text as found in the Masoretic manuscripts
>
> splits into two unique but complementary traditions:
>
> that of Ben Asher (circa centuries 9-10 CE)
>
> and that of Ben Chayyim (circa centuries 13-14 CE).
>

> Peter,
>
> Could you help me to understand how Ben Chayyim ends up creating
> a Hebrew Text
> in which the Tetragrammaton is found over 6000 times,
> in the Hebrew word #3068 form.
>
> Are there any extant M.T.'s between 1010 A.D. and 1525 A.D.
> in which the Tetragrammaton is preserved over 6000 times in the Hebrew
> word #3068 form?

I don't know. I know that the oldest MSS don't usually write the holem
on the divine name.

> Peter,
>
> You mentioned:
>

> But it seems clear that by the time that the Aleppo codex was  written,
> some time before L,
> the traditional way of writing the  divine  name was already more or
> less fixed
> and has not been changed since.
> >>>

> Certainly Ben Chayyim has changed the writing of the divine name.
> Did Ben Chayyim corrupt the Hebrew Text?

Well, it seems that Ben Chayyim did follow a changed tradition. Whether
that is corruption or improvement is a value judgment. I am not an
expert on this.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/