[b-hebrew] frequencies of accents

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Sep 5 06:32:17 EDT 2003

On 04/09/2003 20:14, Bearpecs at aol.com wrote:

>I'm toying with using Keyman to build a customized Hebrew keyboard and am at
>the point of deciding where to put the ta`amim (accents).
>
>1.  Are there any frequency studies of which accents occur more and which
>less often?

Good question! And one which I have a tool available to answer
immediately. Here in fact is a list of all the characters used in the
Unicode edition of BHS which I have. (The tool generates also a list of
up to ten references for each character, but I have omitted that to save
space). Note that $ is used for puncta extraordinaria, N for inverted
nun and Q and [...] to mark Qere, as a temporary matter in this edition.
I know the frequencies of meteg, rafe and some other marks vary a lot
from edition to edition.

Character 	Count
[0020] 	291515
[0024] $ 	53
[004E] N 	3
[0051] Q 	1150
[005B] [ 	1150
[005D] ] 	1150
[0591] ֑ 	21464
[0592] ֒ 	618
[0593] ֓ 	46
[0594] ֔ 	25177
[0595] ֕ 	1647
[0596] ֖ 	38974
[0597] ֗ 	12527
[0598] ֘ 	211
[0599] ֙ 	14650
[059A] ֚ 	13637
[059B] ֛ 	7676
[059C] ֜ 	7019
[059E] ֞ 	1699
[059F] ֟ 	16
[05A0] ֠ 	1194
[05A1] ֡ 	934
[05A3] ֣ 	40906
[05A5] ֥ 	32754
[05A6] ֦ 	14
[05A7] ֧ 	3243
[05A8] ֨ 	8235
[05A9] ֩ 	1481
[05AA] ֪ 	245
[05AB] ֫ 	407
[05AC] ֬ 	181
[05AE] ֮ 	809
[05AF] ֯ 	1325
[05B0] ְ 	149522
[05B1] ֱ 	4458
[05B2] ֲ 	25444
[05B3] ֳ 	616
[05B4] ִ 	108406
[05B5] ֵ 	58789
[05B6] ֶ 	75087
[05B7] ַ 	116672
[05B8] ָ 	151119
[05B9] ֹ 	73494
[05BB] ֻ 	4341
[05BC] ּ 	169807
[05BD] ֽ 	41079
[05BE] ־ 	42529
[05BF] ֿ 	12
[05C0] ׀ 	1731
[05C1] ׁ 	46062
[05C2] ׂ 	12083
[05C3] ׃ 	23191
[05D0] א 	95672
[05D1] ב 	65207
[05D2] ג 	10079
[05D3] ד 	32368
[05D4] ה 	101943
[05D5] ו 	129584
[05D6] ז 	9116
[05D7] ח 	27589
[05D8] ט 	6309
[05D9] י 	137848
[05DA] ך 	13944
[05DB] כ 	33517
[05DC] ל 	88284
[05DD] ם 	41279
[05DE] מ 	57637
[05DF] ן 	15238
[05E0] נ 	39845
[05E1] ס 	9610
[05E2] ע 	44802
[05E3] ף 	2553
[05E4] פ 	16909
[05E5] ץ 	3285
[05E6] צ 	11688
[05E7] ק 	16276
[05E8] ר 	68052
[05E9] ש 	58189
[05EA] ת 	63201

>2.  Are there any frequency studies showing which accents occur most often
>with individual letters?  individual vowel points?

With the same tool I was able to generate a list of base character and
diacritic combinations with their frequencies and references. As it is
quite a big file (432 KB zipped HTML) I will send it to you off list,
together with the list of individual characters  and their references.