[b-hebrew] Re: Prov. 30:19

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Oct 8 02:00:56 EDT 2003

Dear Peter:

How do you know that it is not Arabic from over a thousand years later that split one root into two? Even with post-Biblical Hebrew, we see that one letter, sin, was split into two: sin and shin, other letters had taken on two pronunciations, and this happened before the earliest example of Arabic. So how is it not speculation to claim that Arabic with its split should take precedence over Biblical Hebrew which has no evidence of such a split? Remember, Biblical Hebrew gives indications that it was phonetically written, so the lack of letters indicates that these were sounds the language lacked.

To me it appears pure speculation to claim that the forms of one language should take precedence over the forms of a cognate language from over a thousand years earlier, especially when there is no other evidence for it, nor any allowance made for how languages change over time.

Karl W. Randolph.