[b-hebrew] Re: [hebrew] Re: Hebrew marks in ISO 8957 but not in Unicode

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Oct 1 19:38:08 EDT 2003

On 01/10/2003 17:25, Jony Rosenne wrote:

>Peter,
>
>I was referring to the statement: "JTC1 is waiting for Israel to make a case
>for these, as they did when the TC46 standard was under development."

Thank you for the clarification. JTC1 obviously should be waiting for
input from the community of users of ISO 8957, who are probably not
concentrated in Israel but scattered worldwide. From my limited
knowledge of the procedures,it seems that the best channel for such
input to the ISO committees is through the UTC, which represents users
rather than national bodies.

>You contradict yourself in saying both "This is not a matter in which the
>views of the Israeli NB should be decisive" and expecting that "all of the
>characters in it are incorporated into SII 1311".

I don't actually expect the latter. If the Israeli NB chooses to do so,
ISO 8957 might then be considered redundant. As it probably won't, ISO
8957 has an important place not least as the only standard way to
represent the characters in question.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/