[b-hebrew] Proverbs 30:19 (LMH

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Oct 1 02:54:51 EDT 2003

Peter:

I still don’t see the parallelism when [‘almah] “virgin” is used, but at least I think I know how you approach this verse. Correct me if I am wrong, I think you are looking at it with the focus on the object (heavens, bare rock, sea, virgin) while I’m looking at it with the emphasis on the action (flight of the eagle, snake crossing bare rock, ship sailing in sea, man going in unknown). As long as I understood it as “virgin”, the parallelism based on action broke down and I was unsatisfied with every answer I got. But when I realized that with different points the word could mean “unknown”, then the parallelism throughout the verse fits.

(Incidently, I read a research project a few years ago where scientists found out just how does a snake get across a bare rock? Fascinating.)

And I don’t have to use a euphemism.       ;-)

Karl W. Randolph.