[b-hebrew] Other languages in the Tanakh

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Nov 14 11:52:21 EST 2003

Peter:

I hesitate spending even a little on a book that I already know I will use only very sparingly. When I had regular access to the BDB dictionary, I was not impressed by what according to my standards appeared to be rather sloppy lexicography. To me, it appears that that “sloppiness” is at least in part philosophically biased. The only advantage it has over the tools I presently have is its references to cognate languages which, though useful, must be used with caution if needed at all.

As for calling BDB’s philosophy anti-Semitic, I stand by it. True, its main target is Christianity as understood by the Reformers, but one of the ways to accomplish that goal is to denigrate the intellectual and historical accomplishments of ancient Israel, which is anti-Semitic. How can it not be anti-Semitic? Delegitimizing a people’s ancient accomplishments is one way that belittles their descendents today. The German philosophy that was the basis for Gesenius’ work has been refined and developed, and is still taught in theological schools in Europe and America.

More responses are interspersed below.

Karl W. Randolph.