[b-hebrew] Coffee

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Nov 14 07:19:23 EST 2003

On 13/11/2003 18:35, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

>Yes, it is Arabic, but if memory serves right, it is of Turkish origin; definitely not in BH.
>
>Uri
>
>Qahwah is Arabic for coffee,
>
>JYard

Not Turkish but Arabic. See
http://groups.msn.com/FoodiesCorner/coffeeorigins.msnw#five. One of the
suggestions there links the name with the Arabic quwwa "power,
strength". This is cognate with Hebrew QWH "wait". I suppose the
enigmatic word QAWQAW in Isaiah 18:2,7 just could be a reference to
coffee, especially because this coffee-drinking nation is Cush which is
very likely where coffee drinking originated.