[b-hebrew] Jonah 1:2

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 16:14:21 EST 2003

In a message dated 3/5/2003 3:42:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ben.crick at argonet.co.uk writes:

> This weekend I am starting a series on Jonah. Immediately there is a textual
> crux in 1:2 "Arise go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry *against* it,
> for
> their wickedness is come up before me" (KJV).
>
> The LXX has ... POREUQHTI IES NINEUH THN POLIN THN MEGALHN, KAI KHRUXON *EN
> AUTHi*....
>
> The Vulgate has ... vade in Nineven civitatem grandem et praedica *en ea*
>
> The BHS has ... LeK 'eL-NiYN:WeH Ha`iYR HaGG:DoWLaH uWQ:Ra' *`aLeYHa* ...
>
> Could it be that an original Aleph has been substituted by an `ayin in the
> BHS, the scribes taking Jonah's view (4:2) that mercy should not be
> preached
> to the Ninevites, but rather Wrath be preached against it?  There is no
> footnote in the App: Crit: of the BHS to this effect.
>
> I would be very grateful for any learned comments on this.

As you rightly note, there is a difference in meaning when )L is used rather
than (L with QR).  I generally do not favor using other versions when the MT
makes perfectly good sense.  In this case it would seem to be a pronouncement
of judgment if one reads with the MT which is in keeping with Dt 24.15

W:Lo)_YiQ:Rf) (fLeYKf )eL_YHWH

I think I would stick with the MT.

gfsomsel