[b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 29 18:06:11 EDT 2003

On 29/07/2003 01:33, Pere Casanellas wrote:

> I have not at hand now facsimiles of the L and Aleppo manuscripts, but
> I am nearly sure that the editors of the BHS just copied a distinction
> that already is in the manuscript.
>
> I have checked the facsimiles of the following manuscripts and
> editions that I have at hand and all of them differentiate clearly
> betwen holam + vav mater lectionis and vav consonant + holam:
>
>         Gottweig (Austria), Stiftsbibliothek, ms. 10 and 11 (883), XIV
> or XV century (Pentateuch + Prophtets, square Ashkenazic script)
>
>         Second Rabbinic Bible (Venice 1524-1525), by Jacob ben Hayyim.
>
>         Biblia Polyglotta Complutensis (Alcalá de Henares, 1514-1517)
>
> --
> Pere Casanellas
> E-mail: pere.casanellas at btlink.net
>         pcasanel at pie.xtec.es
> http://www.pere.casanellas.com/bible
> Barcelona
> CATALONIA (Spain)

Thank you for these important details. It is clear to me now that this
distinction has been significant for many centuries. In fact I suspect
that the innovation is not making the distinction, and that may be quite
recent, although it at least as old as Davidson's analytical lexicon, of
which I have a facsimile edition from 1850 in which there is no distinction.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/