[b-hebrew] pharaoh as god

Deborah Millier deborahmillier at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 17:46:38 EDT 2003

"*From the earliest written sources* the king stands
at the centre of his country as a divine force,
identified in his first name and title as a
manifestation of the god of the power in the skies,
Horace the falcon" (Quirke, Stephen and Jeffrey
Spencer eds., THE BRITISH MUSEUM BOOK OF ANCIENT
EGYPT, NY: Thames and Hudson Inc. 1992, p. 58,
emphasis mine).

I don't know from what era "the earliest written
sources" hail (I'm to preoccupied to check right now;
dinner's calling), but I'd wager that some are older
than middle kingdom.  Maybe I'll check after my
burgers.

Shalom,
-- Michael Millier