[b-hebrew] Pharaoh as god

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Jul 7 15:25:49 EDT 2003

To All:

When did it become the tradition that pharaoh was to be considered as a god?

While it is well attested to later that pharaoh was to be considered a god, it is my understanding that at the very beginning of the kingdom, pharoah was merely a first among equals, only later acquiring greater and greater authority. At which point did he start claiming divinity? Are there any historical records that spell out that point? Was it during the Hyksos period when the shepherd kings tried to legitimize their claim to the throne? Earlier? Later? When do we find the first claims of divinity? Was there any controversy conserning those claims?

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers