FW: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 1 13:59:41 EDT 2003

On 01/07/2003 10:35, Jim West wrote:

>At 10:28 AM 7/1/03 -0700, you wrote:
>

>>Jim, David carefully added transliterations for the sake of those of you
>>still using stone age browsers which don't support the very language
>>which you have an interest in, Hebrew.
>>

>wow!  pretty sharp vitriol for a simple request (which in any event is
>required by the list protocol!).  So, if I dont use a new browser my
>interest in Hebrew is not up to snuff?  Is that really what you want to
>suggest???
>

>>Or if you want to join the modern
>>world you can upgrade for free to Netscape 7.1 (released yesterday,
>>ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape7/english/7.1) or Outlook Express 6
>>(or 5 if you prefer) and then you will be able to read David's message fine.
>>

>Again, wow!  But I dont want netscape.  I want transliteration as required
>by all who subscribe to the list - unless the owners changed the rules and
>didnt tell me.
>
>Best
>
>Jim
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Jim West
>Quartz Hill School of Theology
>Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
>
>Biblical Studies Resources
>http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

Jim, all I am suggesting is that you should get the right tools for the
job you want to do. If you want to cut a plank of wood, you get a saw
and don't try to do it with a penknife, or a stone axe to continue my
earlier analogy. If you want to discuss Hebrew on the Internet, you
should get the tools (which are free!) which allow you to do so
efficiently and properly. If the list rules say otherwise, in my opinion
they should be changed, though not of course without adequate discussion
and notice.

Meanwhile, David did provide the transliteration according to the
current list rules, though admittedly not technically using the official
transliteration format.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/