[b-hebrew] Understanding BHS text! (apologies for the cross-posting)

Yousaf Sadiq nbtp at kastanet.org
Wed Dec 17 01:17:59 EST 2003

Dear James,

Thanks for your reply.  I asked the same question to both lists for the
following reasons:

A) I can not read Biblical Greek and have introductory knowledge of Biblical
Hebrew but I don't understand critical apparatus found in the BHS. I would
like to compare the available translations in local languages with original
languages, to find the differences and also reasons behind those
differences.

B) All of those translations are pre-critical.  Such data will help to
improve the existing translations.  The subject of Biblical criticism is
unfamiliar and is not taught or talked about in the local theological
institutions/seminaries.

C) I am interested in collecting such data for my personal information and
have better understanding of the text in the original languages.  I like to
find what the scholars say or have written about such passages.

I hope this is helpful.

Yousaf.