[b-hebrew] Biblica 84 fascicle 4

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Dec 4 20:46:16 EST 2003

Dear Maurice:

Is there really a contradiction between 2 Kgs 25 and Jer 52 regarding the date on which the First Temple was destroyed?

The way the texts were presented at the beginning of the article, it looked as if there is a contradiction, but when I checked the original texts, in their entirety, they described slightly different events, in Kings the date Nebuzaradan came and Jeremiah the date he stood before his king in Jerusalem, possibly to present his report. The exact date the temple was burned may actually have been days later, after all its treasures were crated up and shipped off to Babylon. We know that bronze, silver and gold objects from the temple were brought to Babylon, both Daniel and Ezra mention them, and it may have taken time to wrap up and ship them out before the building was torched.

Is there anything linguistically to contradict this reading?

Karl W. Randolph.