[b-hebrew] Re: nephesh mot

Deborah Millier deborahmillier at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 13:15:57 EDT 2003

L. Fried wrote:

> Dear Michael,
> The nephesh is
> in the blood.

True enough, but consider 1 Kgs. 17:21-22 with a
wooden rendition of your contribution in mind:

TASHAV NA NEFESH-HA-YELED HA-ZEH AL-QIRBO....
VA-TASHAV NEFESH-HA-YELED AL-QIRBO VA-YEKHI.

"...let the [blood?] of this boy return inside him....
 And the [blood?] of the boy returned inside him."

I guess it's possible with God to reverse the flow of
blood (though the previous verses mention the boy
falling sick...perhaps resulting in external
bleeding(?), but that seems forced to me), however an
English translation of "life" or something similar
seems to be a better choice.  Hence, the case for a
NEPHESH sometimes distinct from the person appears to
gain more momentum.

KOL TUV,
-- Michael Millier