Gen 49:16 (was: Iron and Bronze)

Pere Casanellas pere.casanellas at btlink.net
Fri Sep 13 04:14:53 EDT 2002

The commentary of Genesis by Gordon J. Wenham (Word Biblical Commentary)
seems to favour the interpretation of Ian Hutchesson:

Translation: <<6 Dan will vindicate his people
like any of the tribes of Israel.>>

Commentary: <<"Like one of the tribes of Israel" is a puzzling phrase.
Since the descendants of Dan are always seen as a tribe of Israel, why does
Jacob need to draw attention to it? It may be a hint that Dan was not as
strong as the other tribes: Judges describes the Danites' forced migration
from their original area in the southwest of Canaan to the north. But like
those of other bigger tribes, Dan's victories will help all Israel.>>

--
Pere Casanellas
E-mail: pere.casanellas at btlink.net
Barcelona