Elijah and Horeb - More Questions

Alastair Haines haines at alastairs.com
Sat Jun 29 02:37:34 EDT 2002

Thank you Trevor,

I particularly liked the way you phrased your answer:
"... We don't know whether God is there or not.
Like Elijah, we've got to go outside and have a look around."

You've pushed me to another question.
In what sense is Hashem "*lo* b'ruach," "*lo* b'ra'ash," & "*lo* b'esh?"
How should I understand "lo b'..." in verses 11 and 12?

I suggested Hashem was showing his presence but answering with silence-
Is it the "dvar-Hashem" that is *not in* the great disturbances?
This reading seems fair, but was it the writer's intention?

About "shema" in verse 13 referring to "ruach," "ra'ash" and "esh",
is it so far back to go?
But I agree it is more natural for the referent to be "qol," even if a
"qol demama daqqa."

Thank you for drawing my attention to the use of "hinne."
This goes a good way to giving the "feel" for the text I wanted.

Shalom,
alastair
--
Alastair Haines 9386-0016