God's name: was Curious abut "G-d"

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Thu Jan 24 05:55:35 EST 2002

To be very precise, at least in the Masoretic text the YAH used as a
short form of the divine name, especially in HLLW YH, is different from
the -YAH ending of personal names. In the latter (with one exception,
Y:DIYD:YFH. Jedidiah 2 Sam 12:25) the final H is unpointed and so a
silent "mater". In the form YAH the final H has a dot (mappiq)
indicating that it is pronounced.

The name ending -YHW could have been pronounced Yahwe in older texts
before a final vowel was (almost) consistently represented by a "mater"
H. I guess most would agree that in the form YHWH the final H was
actually silent, at least I haven't seen arguments for it being
pronounced. But the first H, which is not word final, must have been
pronounced, and so the shortened form with the pronounced final H is
appropriate.