Curious abut "G-d"

Ken Smith kens at 180solutions.com
Sun Jan 20 02:36:19 EST 2002

I'm sure other folks could answer this, but I'll jump in.

As you know, the consonants for the original "name" of God were YHWH,
and the current "chetib" for the MT substitutes the vowels for AeDoNaY.
According to the Anchor Bible Dictionary:

"The form 'Jehovah' results from reading the consonants of the
Tetragrammaton with the vowels of the surrogate word Adonai.  The
dissemination of this form is usually traced to Petrus Galatinus,
confessor to Pope Leo X, who in 1518 AD transliterated the four Hebrew
letters with the Latin letters jhvh together with the vowels of Adonai,
producing the artifical form 'Jehovah.'  (This confused usage may,
however, have begun as early as 1100 AD.)  While the hybrid form Jehovah
has met much resistance, and is universally regarded as an ungrammatical
aberration, it nonetheless passed from Latin into English and other
European languages and has been hallowed by usage in hymns and the ASV;
it is used only a few times in KJV and not at all in RSV."

See also:

http://www.yhwh.com/jehovah.htm

Ken Smith