"Non-Academic" Original Languages?

Mark Wessner mark at wessner.ca
Tue Dec 17 12:10:50 EST 2002

Hmm ... I see two trains of thought developing regarding the intent of an
"introductory" Biblical language course:

1) A clear goal of enabling the students to explore the better language
tools (commentaries, inter-linears, some lexicons, etc.).  The end result
is to thoughtfully depend upon the tools rather than to explore the texts
themselves.

2) A clear goal of enabling the students to start to learn the languages
and eventually read the texts for themselves.  This would be much more time
consuming but would result in the students reading the actual texts and
using the tools as aids to their study.

It seems to me that, although there is a degree of overlap between the two,
the two approaches are going in different directions.  An obviously, one is
not inherently "better" than the other, as they both use different
approaches to achieve different goals.

For those of you associated with academic institutions, do you offer
OT/NT/HB/etc Introduction courses that explore the languages at all?  I
know that I have come across that in the past, but I can't remember where
I've seen it.

Thanks!

Mark

PS.  Has anybody used the Hebrew companion to Mounce's Greek?  Any thoughts
about it?