Hebrew Syntax.

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Apr 15 06:46:36 EDT 2002

Dear Peter,

I have not tried to discredit any hypothesis. It was Moon who draw
the conclusion that my example was a couter-example of Galia's
conclusion regarding modality.

I just asked you to analyse one passage by the help of discourse
analysis, implying that you either argued in favor of the YIQTOL
representing foreground or background information. I reproduce my
question below:

Dear discourse analysts,

Today I have been working with all the examples of BW) ("to come in")
realized as YIQTOLs with past reference. To illustrate the influence
of discourse analysis on Bible translation, I invite you to analyse 2
Samuel 15:37 by help of this method and any other method you deem fit.

Question: Do you prefer the first group of renderings, and in that
case, why? Or do you prefer the second group of renderings, and in
that case, why?

NIV So David's friend Hushai arrived at Jerusalem as Absalom was
entering the city.

NLT So David's friend Hushai returned to Jerusalem, getting there
just as Absalom arrived.

NRSV So Hushai, David's friend, came into the city, just as Absalom
was entering Jerusalem.

RSV So Hushai, David's friend, came into the city, just as Absalom
was entering Jerusalem.

KJV So Hushai David's friend came into the city, and Absalom came
into Jerusalem.

  ASV So Hushai, David's friend, came into the city; and Absalom came
into Jerusalem.

LUTHER  So kam Huschai, der Freund Davids, in die Stadt. Und Absalom
zog in Jerusalem ein.

>Rolf, my whole point is that one (alleged) counter-example is not enough
>to discredit a hypothesis. Even 3-4% are not. So I won't waste my time
>on individual counter-examples. Anyway, I am discussing methodology not
>specific hypotheses. And I've forgotten which example we are talking
>about here.
>
>Peter Kirk

Regards Rolf

Rolf Furuli