discourse analysis and circular reasoning

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sun Apr 14 03:39:19 EDT 2002

Dear Moon,

What you have described below, and which you call "spiral reasoning"
is the same that I call "the hermeneutical circle". This is a
legitimate scientific tool.

Alviero uses this scientific tool to a great extent, but his work
has, in my opinion, a circular side as well. In the Foreword to his
"Syntax.." (p12) Alviero says, "Only at this point,after analysing
the various syntactic settings suggested by a reading of the text,
has it been possible to identify the forms and verbal constructions
which can exist independently, within the Hebrew verbal system
(WAYYIQTOL, QATAL, YIQTOL, weQATAL, and weYIQTOL, the simple noun
clause,the complex noun clause) and to extend a list of tenses for
each."

He starts with five finite conjugations, and he ends with five finite
conjugations. He has made an excellent *descriptive* study for prose
texts of how the verbs are used with and without prefixed WAW. But
*description*, which is pragmatics, cannot be used in a *normative*
way, to establish semantics. If that is done, it is not "spiral
reasoning" but "circular reasoning" - you get out exactly what you
put in.

Two basic reasons for circularity are, 1 the method has just been
applied to prose texts (at least in the "Syntax.."). (In order to
break circularity, one has to show that the results are equally
applicable to poetic and semi-poetic texts), 2) There are too many
forced explanations of examples from prose where the supposed
function of a form does not seem to fit, not to speak of poetic texts
where a form functions differently (This is not in the "Syntax..",
but has been seen in discussion between different memebers of the
list.)

An alternative application of discourse analysis of the Hebrew verbal
system is the descriptive one. This means that the patterns that are
seen in the use of verbs simply reflect *inguistic convention*,i.e.
this is the way the writers used their verbs, something that was
inherited from father to son. A pattern that often is seen, is not
the only pattern or the only use of this particular form. The fallacy
of discourse analysis applied to Hebrew verbs is when characteristics
are imputed to particular verbs: WAYYIQTOLs establish a new point of
reference, this form occur i mainline, that form in background etc.
To go from pragmatics to semantics tends to be circular, and this is
what is seen in many studies where discourse analysis is the
backbone. Only when a characteristic is seen in *all* cases where the
form is used (explainable exceptions accepted) - in prose as well as
poetics - is the characteristic a semantic part of the form.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli

University of Oslo