Abbott & Costello Translate Kings

David Stabnow dstabno at lifeway.com
Fri Apr 12 17:56:24 EDT 2002

  Abbott:  We're in 2 Kings 17:4.  Let's go over the story.  Hoshea quit
paying tribute to the king of Assyria and sent envoys to Egypt.  I forget
the King of Egypt's name.
  Costello:  So.
  Abbott:  Huh?
  Costello:  So.
  Abbott:  You're right, it's not important, we'll let it go for now.  So,
the king of Assyria ...
  Costello:  So the king of Egypt.
  Abbott:  I was gonna say the king of Assyria arrested Hoshea.
  Costello:  That's right.
  Abbott:  So, the king of Assyria ...
  Costello:  No, So the king of Egypt.
  Abbott:  Let me tell the story!
  Costello:  Well, then, tell it right!
  Abbott:  Who arrested Hoshea?
  Costello:  The king of Assyria.
  Abbott:  Is that so?
  Costello:  No, that's the king of Egypt.
  Abbott:  So, the king of Egypt?
  Costello:  Right.
  Abbott:  So the king of Egypt arrested Hoshea?
  Costello:  No, the king of Assyria arrested Hoshea.
  Abbott:  But you just said the king of Egypt did.
  Costello:  I didn't say So.
  Abbott:  Oh, come on!  So, the king of Assyria ...
  Costello:  No, he's the king of Egypt.
  Abbott:  How do we keep coming back to Egypt?
  Costello:  You said the king's name.
  Abbott:  What makes you think I even know his name?
  Costello:  You said So!
  Abbott:  I did not!
  Costello:  I heard you!
  Abbott:  Let me tell the story!
  Costello:  Then tell it right!

Dave Stabnow
Bible Translation Editor
Broadman & Holman Publishers
Nashville, Tennessee
615-251-5851
david.stabnow at lifeway.com

    Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do,
do everything for God's glory.  (1 Cor 10:31, HCSB)