Is this a rock or not? I Would like to know

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Tue Feb 13 19:23:36 EST 2001

This New Testament verse is certainly an interesting example of ancient
interpretation of the Hebrew Bible. But I would take Paul's point not as a
reference to a literal moving rock. Rather his meaning is more like this:
Their physical sustenance was water from the physical rocks which Moses
smote; but their spiritual sustenance was from a spiritual Rock, as YHWH is
commonly called in the Psalms, and Paul identifies this Rock with the
Messiah. This identification may seem odd apart from the context: Paul is
warning the Corinthian Christians, who considered themselves to be sustained
by the Messiah Jesus of Nazareth, even by symbolically drinking his blood in
the Communion (10:16), that receiving spiritual sustenance is no guarantee
of pleasing God and not coming under his judgment.

Peter Kirk