Mesha Stele and the Tetragrammaton

Tony Costa tmcos at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 12 19:09:20 EST 2001

Dear Friends,

  Some of the recent discussions on the Mesha Stele has raised some
interesting questions. I noticed that in the English translation of the
Stele the Name of the God of Israel is pronounced (with all due respect to
our Jewish friends) "Yahweh". I understand that we really do not know how
exactly the Name YHWH was pronounced because of the absence of vowels in
ancient Hebrew and we can only conjecture at its exact pronunciation.Does
anyone know exactly how the name of Israel's God is written in the Mesha
Stele? I assume the Moabites shared a Semitic language which would also be
devoid of vowels? Many thanks.

                                              Tony Costa
                                              University of Toronto