Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Sun Feb 4 16:31:29 EST 2001

>>So for me this matter is still not decided, but there is a strong tendency
>>nowadays to argue that he [Matthew] was not a Jew.
>
>It is highly unlikely to me that Matthew was a Gentile. Jesus was sent to
>the lost sheep of the house of Israel. The twelve disciples correspond to
>the twelve tribes of Israel.

I find this discussion generally way down the road to vain conjecture.

"Matthew" for us is a text. It evinces a number of layers which includes the
use of both Hebrew and LXX variants of the OT/HB and probably a dependence
on some form of the gospel of Mark.

It is all too easy to drop off into fantasies about the name attached to the
text, going as far as to relate it to the fellow who was a tax collector
called by Jesus.

I can't for the life of me see how the trick used on this list about
considering ancient "interpretations" of a text which allows discussion
about Matthean understandings of, reinterpretations of and flow of
consciousness on certain OT/HB citations, the trick which has got the some
on the list as far as musing about the racial identity of this "Matthew",
has anything substantially to do with what the list is here for.

Ian