Shabbat/Shupattu article revised

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sun Dec 16 09:32:29 EST 2001

"He establishes the
          Sabbath to provide man a day of rest, as well as to honor
himself in special worship."

Actually, the prohibition of work on Shabbat (Melechet Avoda) has to
do with the actions needed for worship (Avoda) in the Temple, and
this is for us to acknowledge that it is a law of existence (like
gravity, for instance is a law in the physical world) that on this
day G-d's blessings and sustenance are coming forth - WITHOUT THE
NEED FOR US TO SUPPLICATE FOR THEM.

And, all of this is independent of whether or not we honor the day -
unlike our festivals, which are holy only if we honor and keep them.

Shoshanna