Genesis 1:6

Trevor Peterson 06PETERSON at cua.edu
Wed Dec 12 22:49:53 EST 2001

What may be complicating the matter is that there is no attested form badal,
which presumably would be the G verb from this root. There is the N
nivdal/yibbadel, meaning "to withdraw; to go over to; to be excluded from; to
be singled out." And there is the form seen here--the C hivdil/yavdil, meaning
"to separate, divide from, make distinction; to separate; to single out,
select." The ma- prefix is part of the formation of the C participle, which
forms a maqtil pattern in strong roots (based on the paradigmatic root qatal).
The C stem often indicates causation of the corresponding G verb, but since
there is no G verb in this case, that's something of a moot issue. So I'd
start out glossing it something like "that which separates."

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

>===== Original Message From uri hurwitz <uhurwitz at yahoo.com> =====
> 1. Sorry, but BDL is the root of mavdil. Check any elementary  Heb.
>grammer, specificially the Hif'il verbal form.
> 2. The prepostion L need not be translated; check the very next verse,or
>verse 4.                                                 Uri
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [06peterson at cua.edu]
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')