Isaiah 52:6 "I Am" or "I am He"

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Thu Aug 30 12:13:19 EDT 2001

At 09:57 AM 8/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a question for those better acquainted with the development of the
Hebrew language.  In Isaiah 52:6 God says,
>"Therefore my people will know my name; therefore in that day they will
know that it is I who foretold it. Yes, I am He."

>I am He translates )NY H).  As I remember Modern Hebrew often translates
this as I Am.  This is also the phrase found in my Hebrew New Testament
where Jesus says before Abraham was, I am. Here is my question.  Does the
author of Isaiah 52 use )NY H) synonymously with YHWH?

yes.

jim

Jim West, ThD

Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies, Roane State Community College

Home Page:
Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest