Heaven or Sky?

SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH cms at dragon.com
Fri Aug 24 21:31:06 EDT 2001

>From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried at umich.edu>
>To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: FW: heaven or sky?
>Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:35:51 -0400

>One great benefit of having an electronic-edition of the middle L & S is
>the ability to do a "reverse search" i.e querying on an English word, and
>finding the Greek listing.
>This, BTW, is possible to do also on the big LSJ on the Perseus site.

>I have found AIQHR for sky
>                    KUKLOS for the vault of the sky
>                     POLOS  2. the sphere which revolves on this axis, i.
>e. the vault of heaven, the sky or firmament, Lat. polus, Aesch., Eur.

I couldn't find these Greek words in either the Septuagint or the
New Testament.  Would you please cite the verses where these words
appear so I can look them up?  Thanks.

>Feel free to post this to the list ( although I share your reservations
>about Greek on a Hebrew list <g>

>Regards,
>Maurice

>Maurice A. O'Sullivan
>[Bray, Ireland]
>mauros at iol.ie

>" With computers we can now misinterpret Scripture at speeds never before
>possible"

Cindy Smith		I have further observed under the sun that
cms at dragon.com		The race is not won by the swift,
cms at 5sc.net		Nor the battle by the valiant;
cms at romancatholic.org	Nor is bread won by the wise,
			Nor wealth by the intelligent,
Me transmitte sursum,	Nor favor by the learned.
	Caledoni!		-- JPS Ecclesiastes 9:11