Song of songs 8.6

Karl Ivan Baca bacai at usa.net
Tue Sep 5 08:08:51 EDT 2000

Shalom every one.

I have a very trouboling question.

Ok, I have never been seen asking questions, since indeed all of you are very
schoolars, and I do consider my self a Hebrew student and a future to be
schoolar still.

But as I was studying this pasage Song of songs 8:6 in Hebrew I noticed that
the some translations put the name of HaShem in it, and others do not. I will
give you some samples.

webster-----Set me as a seal upon thy heart, as a seal upon thy arm: for love
[is] strong as death; jealousy [is] cruel as the grave: the coals of it [are]
coals of fire, [which hath] a most vehement flame.

Young's-----Set me as a seal on thy heart, as a seal on thine arm, For strong
as death is love, Sharp as Sheol is jealousy, Its burnings [are] burnings of
fire, a flame of Jah!

Darby's-----Set me as a seal upon thy heart, As a seal upon thine arm: For
love is strong as death; Jealousy is cruel as Sheol: The flashes thereof are
flashes of fire, Flames of Jah.

ASV-----Set me as a seal upon thy heart, As a seal upon thine arm: For love is
strong as death; Jealousy is cruel as Sheol; The flashes thereof are flashes
of fire, A very flame of Jehovah.

HNv-----Set me as a seal on your heart, As a seal on your arm; For love is
strong as death. Jealousy is as cruel as She'ol; Its flashes are flashes of
fire, A very flame of the LORD.

RSV-----Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm; for love is
strong as death, jealousy is cruel as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of
fire, a most vehement flame..

Vulgate----pone me ut signaculum super cor tuum ut signaculum super brachium
tuum quia fortis est ut mors dilectio dura sicut inferus aemulatio lampades

The hebrew in the other hand says:
07957 shalhebeth {shal-heh'-beth}
from the same as 03851 with sibilant prefix; TWOT - 1077c; n f
AV - flame 3; 3
1) flame

I do imagine if I was translating this text I would not put the Holy Name and
replace it with HaShem (since any expeculation to the name is just guessing).

I notice that some translations though say the whole name!? How dare them when
they see that the last 2 letters of this words are Yod, and Hey.

Now, I do imagine too that this two letters may be that they are there because
it either decorative (you know like some times you find a Nun Sofi)

There was this Rabbi at my Shul, the other day, and he translated it with the
full name. As I was reading my Hebrew bible I noticed with Chock that it was
not there. So I asked, but his answer was very poor for me.

Can any one give me your Imput. Thank you.

The full word is:
Shin, Lamed, Hey, Beith, Tav. Then it has an ending added Yod, and Hey.

This word is found only 3 times, one in Yov, and Ezikiel.

THANK YOU.

Karl