Gen 2:17: Dying thou shalt die

Bill Ross wross at farmerstel.com
Mon Aug 21 18:28:55 EDT 2000

<Liz>
> >The point is that the snake was right, not God. Their eyes were opened
(3:7), and they did not die on the day they ate it as God said they would
(2:17).

<Bill>
!!!!
There are some disturbing corrallaries to your interpretation - which I
admit has force from how I read the words.

Is there any possibility for a reading something to the effect of:

"...from the day you eat thereof you are certain to die..."?

or

"...in that day that you eat of it, I tell you that your death will be
certain..."

Or some other reading that doesn't place the death within the day?

Bill Ross