Parsha question - Deut 8:8

Al Silberman alfred.silberman at lmco.com
Thu Aug 17 07:55:47 EDT 2000

Can someone provide insight into why the accents break up this verse
into:

A land of wheat - and barley; vines, fig trees and pomegrantes. A land
of oil olives - and honey. I.E. there is a servant accent on the first
"land", no accent on the second "land" but tied to the next word by a
maqaf.

Instead of:
A land of - wheat and barley; vines, fig trees and pomegrantes. A land
of - oil olives and honey. I.E. pashta (disjunctive accent) on the first
"land" with wheat and barley tied together; tipexa (disjunctive accent)
on the second "land" with oil olives and honey tied together.

Thank you,
Al Silberman