FW: Re[8]: Methods in biblical scholarship

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 29 11:58:44 EST 1999

The Sadducees and Essenes, which some scholars say are different branches of the same
philosophy, based their outlook on the Temple.  They had no stragegy for surviving the
Temple's destruction.  On the other hand, the Pharisees did.  If, indeed, it is later
rabbinic Judaism that defined "orthodoxy," it is  because they were the successful
ones who came up with a viable strategy for Judaism's survival.  A significant  sect
of  minim or "fringe Jews" who did survive the Temple's destruction did accept certain
aspects of apocalypticism, but they were also informed by Pharisaic philosophy, except
that for them the concepts of Temple and Messiah were re-formed.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org