JEPD Evidence

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Sun Dec 19 19:07:35 EST 1999

Dear Jonathan,

Please don't get me wrong. On a personal level, I sympathise with your
desire to find in the Pentateuch the Word of God and an accurate
record of the words and deeds of ancient patriarchs. I don't make a
lot of that on this list as I would soon be accused of all sorts of
things, of which being off topic would be the least. And I have no axe
to grind from the viewpoint of my personal faith for single
authorship. But I just don't see it as at all likely that Moses, or
anyone else, was carrying around written records dating back even to
Abraham's time, let alone to Noah and Adam. There would have been oral
traditions, which could be very reliably transmitted even if we don't
bring in such factors as the Holy Spirit preserving them. Someone,
perhaps Moses, was the first to commit these oral traditions to
writing, and maybe that person included parts of the traditional sagas
verbatim. So in that sense we have sources (though not documents!) and
perhaps an explanation for some doublets. But I see no evidence that
what we have in front of us is not essentially that first written form
of the traditions.

A further point (in relation to one of your other postings) re TOLDOT
formulae. Yes, these, or some of them, could be indications of the
beginnings of new sources, whether written or oral. But the resulting
division of Genesis would be very different from any JEDP analysis,
and so would not explain doublets, stylistic changes, use of different
names of God etc as JEDP does. So you will have to start again to
collect the evidence you need for your hypothesis - and find another
explanation for many of the doublets. Until I see some real evidence,
I think that the easier hypothesis is that the TOLDOT formulae are
section headings.