Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Dec 15 19:22:15 EST 1999

Peter,
I'd be interested to see some examples of some of these,
especially the exceptions to past and examples of suggested mis-
pointings.  I'd also be interested to see what you consider "special
cases" wrt sequentiality.

> Rather off the top of my head, I would say that the features of
> WAYYIQTOL which we have mentioned come to the fore as follows:
>
> +past           usually, not always especially where context is future
> +perfective     almost always, perhaps always (?)
> +realis         almost always, perhaps always (?)
> -dependence     not quite sure what you mean by this one

Syntactically dependent or connected to another (previous) clause.
Examples would be coordination, apposition, governance by a
temporal clause, that sort of thing.

> -subordination  I'd need to look more closely at this one

Subordination most often happens in BH by means of KY or )$R,
that the type of clause I denote by "subordination."