The form of weqatal

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Tue Aug 10 00:46:14 EDT 1999

An interesting suggestion, but you have still failed to get an
important point. You have put together, as if they have something in
common, the two lines:

X+YIQTOL - syntactic connection, irrealis mode (modal)
WAYYIQTOL - no syntactic connection, realis mode (indicative)

But in fact these two lines have NOTHING in common, except for their
superficial form in the Masoretic text. Not only do they differ in
word order and in both of the distinguishing factors which Dave
mentions (and in others which he doesn't mention such as aspect and
the discourse types they are used in); but also, as Henry has so
clearly demonstrated, they are derived from different verb
conjugations in early Hebrew which have partly (but only partly)
fallen together in the Masoretic pronunciation.

This is just like trying to find some common meaning between the
English simple past ("he had") and the English past participle ("he
was had") while ignoring the indisputable evidence that these forms
are quite different in a significant minority of verbs (e.g. "did" and
"done").