Atonement in the Pentateuch

Lewis Reich LBR at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 28 17:53:11 EDT 1998

On 28 Sep 98, at 21:47, Peter_Kirk at sil.org wrote:

> However, Harris, Archer and Waltke reject this view and
> put forward an alternative, already implicit in BDB, that
> the basic form of the word is KOPER meaning "ransom", and
> the verbal forms (all Piel and Pual) are derived from
> this noun.

It seemed to me that the KPR-ing of Noah's ark was a qal
form.

> This versatile word also means "henna" or "village",

"Village"  -  K:PfR differs in its vowel pointing.

> But KUFR means> "unbelief" and KAFIR "unbeliever",
> perhaps derived from "cover" > "conceal" > "deny".

This usage is also present in Hebrew - KoWP"R is is an
unbeliever, or "one who denies"; it is usually expressed as
KoWP"R B:(iYKfR  - one who denies an essential [doctrine of
belief].

Lewis Reich
LBR at sprynet.com