Atonement in the Pentateuch

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 01:28:13 EDT 1998

On Sun 27 Sep 98 (16:55:37), 596547 at ican.net wrote:

> Questions for the b-hebrewers:  The RSV and KJV translate Lev 8:15
> significantly differently.  Which is better?  Is the Heb word _KiPuRiyM_
> ever properly rendered "reconcilliation"?

 Both are less accurate than the LXX, IMHO. The root KPR in the Qal
 means "to cover"; in the Pi`el, "to atone; to make reconciliation for".

 The LXX has ...KAI TO hAIMA EXECEEN EPI THN BASIN TOU QUSIASTHRIOU,
 *KAI hHGIASEN AUTO, TOU EXILASASQAI EP' AUTOU*.

 KiPPeR seems to be rendered hILASKOMAI in the LXX; also in the New
 Testament we have hILASKOMAI and hILASTHRION used in the sense of
 Reconciliation: God's wrath is propitiated by the sacrifice upon the altar,
 and so God and man are reconciled. Compare LeKaPPeR `aWoN in Daniel 9:24.

 The hILASTHRION is the Mercy Seat rather than the Altar in Hebrews 9:5.
 The other NT word for Reconcile is KATALASSW, KATALLAGH (Romans 5:11;
 2 Corinthians 5:18-19; Hebrews 2:17).

> Heb:  WaYQaDD$"Hu  L:KaP"r  (@L at yW
> RSV:  "and [he] consecrated it, to make atonement for it."
> KJV:  and [he] sanctified it, to make reconciliation upon it.

 To my mind, a more accurate rendition would be:
 "and he poured the blood upon the base of the altar,
 *and he sanctified it, to make atonement thereupon*".

 The atonement is not for the profanity of the altar, but for the sins
 of the people, on whose behalf sin-offerings *are going to be continuously
 offered upon* this newly-consecrated altar.

 YoM-KiPPuR falls this Wednesday. It was then that HaKKaPPoReT came
 into its own, of course...

 ShaLoWM
 Ben
--