[B-Greek] Apollonius Canon source

Terry Cook cookie99 at fuse.net
Tue Feb 1 17:37:18 EST 2011

Perhaps the following will be suitable definition?

APOLLONIUS' CANON:  "Apollonius of Dyscolus was a second century A.D. Greek
grammarian who stated that, usually when a noun is modified by another noun
in the genitive case, both nouns will have the article prefixed to them or
neither will have the article. When both nouns are anarthrous, usually they
are both mutually definite or both indefinite or both qualitative…. When the
genitive noun is a proper noun, the article may be absent when the proper
noun precedes or follows the articular noun and also when it is bracketed
between the article and the noun."
•	"The rule that when one noun governs another noun (i.e., they occur "in
regimen") both either have or lack the article. Named after Apollonius
Dyscolus, a grammarian of the second century a.d. It is usually handled in
the grammars under a discussion of the genitive since the construction
includes a head noun and a genitive noun."
     	(1) Articular:  ἐν  τούτῳ  φανερά  ἐστιν  τὰ  τέκνα  τοῦ  θεοῦ  =  by
this the children of God are manifest (1Jn 3:10).  (2) Anarthrous:
ἀγαπητοί,  νῦν  τέκνα  θεοῦ  ἐσμεν  =  dear friends, now we are children of
God (1Jn 3:2).
•	Apollonius' canon states that in general two nouns in regimen (a noun
qualified by a genitive noun) will both have articles or both are without
them. This rule holds true more than eighty percent of the time. There are
two basic modifications that will explain most exceptions: (1) the head noun
may be anarthrous while the genitive qualifier is articular, especially if
the head noun is the object of a preposition, a predicate nominative, or
vocative; (2) either may be anarthrous if it is a proper name (including
κύριος) even though the other may be articular.
ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου  =  the son of man (Mt 9:6).
ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ θεοῦ  =  the kingdom of God (Mk 4:26).
τὸν λόγον τοῦ θεοῦ  =  the word of God (Acts 13:5).

APOLLONIUS' COROLLARY:  "The rule that when one anarthrous noun governs
another anarthrous noun (i.e., they occur "in regimen") both will normally
have the same semantic force, whether definite, indefinite or qualitative.
It is termed a corollary because it is related to Apollonius' canon."
•	"The corollary to this rule (Apollonius' Corollary), developed by David
Hedges, is that when both nouns are anarthrous, both will usually have the
same semantic force. That is, both will be, for example, definite (D-D), the
most commonly shared semantic force. Somewhat less common is
qualitative-qualitative (Q-Q). The least likely semantic force is
indefinite-indefinite (I-I). Further, although not infrequently was there a
one-step difference between the two substantives (e.g., D-Q), only rarely
did the two nouns differ by two steps (either I-D or D-I). Hedges worked
only in the Pauline letters, but his conclusions are similar to other work
done in the rest of the NT."